FOREX PRO Weekly December 31- January 04, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
On monthly chart market has closed slightly higher than on previous week, so it’s very difficult to add something to previous analysis – trend holds bullish, as well as price action. Market now stands slightly higher than former K-resistance area and 1.3150 level is an upper border of it.
There are two moments to watch for on monthly chart, but both of them are rather extended perspective. First is the length of current swing up. If it will exceed previous swing down, marked by red circle, then it will be solid challenge on further upward continuation. Second is – next potential target 1.3833 – major 5/8 Fib resistance and AB=CD Agreement (better looks at weekly time frame) and monthly overbought.

eur_m_31_12_12.gif

Weekly
The first weekly chart is more related to monthly analysis, since lets us clearer understand the value of 1.3830 major 5/8 resistance. Trend is bullish here, price action also looks bullish – market is forming upward AB-CD with shallow BC leg, recall the recent breakout through 25x5 and its retesting. As I’ve mentioned above, on weekly chart it is clear looking Agreement around 1.3830 area. Here I’ve found another big AB-CD pattern that creates another Agreement with this 5/8 resistance level and has 0.618 extension at 1.3930. Now add to this stuff weekly oversold and 1.27 extension of former Butterfly “Buy” and we’ll get absolutely outstanding resistance. Definitely this is the next destination on the way up.
eur_w_31_12_12.gif

On second chart, let’s take a closer look at most recent action. Although we’ve expected clearer bullish price action on passed week – market has not shown it. Recent week could be treated as indecision action and it’s not a surprise – holidays, fiscal cliff in US and thin market. All these moments have led to inside trading week, but… This week was above MPR1 and what is more important – above 1.3172 highs. Yes, second week in a row market holds above broken 1.3172 highs, that’s why, probably current indecision has bullish savor from technical standpoint.
From fundamental standpoint – market just wait how US debt ceil riddle will be resolved. I’ve said already on forum, that we hardly can add something meaningful – everybody knows the core of the problem, but its solution holds in back corridors and third house. Will it make sense to gamble about it? I don’t know. Usually defaults come unexpectedly, but now everybody knows about this problem. My humble opinion stands for agreement but by hard way. I mean, they will come to agreement on debt and no default will happen, but after long debates and argues, and probably Mr. T. Geithner still will have to find $200 Bln. to finance debt growth for 2 months.
eur_w1_31_12_12.gif

Daily
As it looked nice in the beginning of the week as it has ended poor at the end of it. By yesterday’s price action market has erased our stop grabbers – I’ve marked them by “1” and “2” just to not add MACD Predictor line here. Still, we have a pattern that still suggests upward move to 1.3350 – Butterfly “Sell”.
As you can see on the chart, we do not have DRPO “Sell” yet, since there was second close below 3x3 DMA. And finally, why we still expect some upward splash – is daily AB=CD pattern with 1.3350 destination point. So, despite how awful it was on intraday charts – probably there are still not bad chances to see 1.3350 upward continuation, since all major patterns were not cancelled yet.
eur_d_31_12_12.gif

4-hour
Here is nice consolidation that potentially could lead either to Butterfly or to triangle. As we suggest possibility for DRPO “Sell” on daily – both patterns are suitable for it. Still taking a complex view on price action with a consideration of 1.3350 target area, butterfly has more chances from that standpoint, since price usually gravitates to completion of AB-CD’s. I want to get butterfly as well, since hitting of 1.3350 AB=CD target by Butterfly and following DRPO “Sell” could create absolutely perfect picture.
eur_4h_31_12_12.gif

1-hour
This chart is most significant for us in short-term perspective, since we have to decide how to build up our strategy with minimum risk. As you can see, hourly chart is a matter of dispute. It could be justified as for short entry as for long, depending on from side to watch on it. Thus, bears could argue that market has broken support line (we’ve discussed in on Friday), formed just awful black candles and now this is some sort of “kiss goodbye” of this trend line after reaching AB=CD pattern target. Hence, here is nice entry point to enter short, since price can continue lower to 1.27 or 1.618 of this AB-CD. Why this is not correct? This is nice trading plan as well.
What we have on bullish side? Actually is not much, at least in term of available reasons to enter long. Here we have only single issue – analysis of 4-hour and daily time frame, as we suggest that market will gravitate to 1.3350 area, and butterfly “sell. Why we should take into consideration bullish scenario? Mostly by two reasons – first is, we stand very close to its invalidation point. If butterfly will fail – it will clear everything. Second is, because bullish scenario is not absolutely obvious. May be this is not very reasonable argument, but this makes sense sometimes when less obvious setups actually work.
Besides, we do not have much choice to deal with bullish scenario. We have only recent swing to use for entry: 2 Fib supports, pennant pattern and 1.31585 invalidation point of this scenario. All financial markets now feel the pressure of fiscal uncertainty; it slops out nervousness on markets. In such environment it should be clear that any scenario has to be treated with suspicion and no scenario is flawless.
Thus, I will not to persuade you. From technical perspective upward move has greater probability and probably will choose this direction, but it means little in current environment. So, be flexible and sensible for any price action that will be contrary to your expectations and strategy, despite how logical it will be.
eur_1h_31_12_12.gif

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update, Tue 01, January 2013

Happy New Year, everybody!

Guys, in Russia now New Year's and Christmas holidays - from 30th of December till 08th of January. So, my updates will release a bit later than usual. Sorry for any inconvenience...

On the last year's day price action was not very impressive, but it carries some significant moments for us. First of all, on daily chart we've got DRPO "Sell" Look alike pattern, but it's buity has exhausted in a blink of an eye and personally I do not like it.
Recall that we've expected that DRPO will become respect of 1.3350, but will not anticipate it. Hence, now we have not only not quite sufficient thrust with this pattern, but not attractive second top as well.
That's why, now it looks more like pennant, rather than DRPO. Still, from DRPO perspectives we have to monitor it's failure point, we could get DRPO "Failure", that simulteniously add points to Butterfly "Sell" that's now forming here as well.

On 4-hour chart we see that market still holds above butterfly's invalidation point - low at 1.31585, that is also a WPS1. Also price holds above lower border on triangle consolidation. Here you can see 5/8 Fib resistance, that is a beacon of DRPO failure - market has to close above it on daily, to give us DRPO Failure confirmation.

Most significant is houry chart. On 1h chart you see bullish hope - two stop grabbers side by side. If they will work - it will give time and space to traders move stops to breakeven. Also I have to say that any return right back to lows and retest of lower border of triangle will make market look too heavy, it is not quite in a agreement with upward intention. Market has tested lower border - it's time to continue move up, if bulls are really control the market. IF stop grabbers will fail - it will be serious challenge on Butterfly fail.

Here is the risk scenario on 1h1 chart. Actually we have AB-CD that creates an Agreement with daily 3/8 support and current price action could turn to butterfly "Buy". That's why current lows are so important.
From another point of view - our risk is not tremendous, since price stands very close to invalidation point.
Also be careful - currently we have very thin market, with fiscal cliff uncertainty - this a bit tricky situation a lot of failure breakouts and splashes, spikes could come.

Attachments

• eur_1h1_01_01_13.gif
    eur_1h1_01_01_13.gif
    36.1 KB · Views: 119
  • eur_1h_01_01_13.gif
    eur_1h_01_01_13.gif
    34.6 KB · Views: 111
  • eur_4h_01_01_13.gif
    eur_4h_01_01_13.gif
    27 KB · Views: 106
  • eur_d_01_01_13.gif
    eur_d_01_01_13.gif
    30.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Wed 02, January 2013

Good morning,
I've thought that probably there will not be any update today, but right in the morning, market has given us surpise with nice upward acceleration, so let's take a look at it.

On daily chart this candle up just confirms our suspicions about DRPO pattern, that we've announced yesterday. Now a lot of different bullish moments appear on daily chart. First is pennant consolidation and great challenge on DRPO Failure pattern, since currently market stands far above its confirmation level. Second is - bullish dynamic pressure is forming, since trend is bearish while price action stands flat and forming higher lows. Here I see only single risk moment - failure breakout of a pennant. Although currently price action is absolutely natural and probably this should not happen, but that's the market - everything is possible.

On 4-hour chart we see that trend has turned bullish with nice MACD angle crossing. Now price stands at resistance - WPR1 and upper border of triangle. Market could show some retracement, that you can use, if you want to join upward action. Minimum target as we know is 1.3350 level.

Most important for us is hourly chart. Here we have excellent huge white candle, three levels of support to watch. THis chart shows risks for bullish scenario. First of all, it will be perfect if market will jump up right from 3/8 support, it will be acceptable, if market will test 5/8 level, that is also WPP. But if price will erase this huge candle and move below WPP - that could turn context from top to bottom. IF this will happen - that will be great challenge for failure pennant breakout and probably destroy bullish scenario. This will be absolutely unnatural for market where bulls are dominating.

Attachments

• eur_d_02_01_13.gif
    eur_d_02_01_13.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 119
  • eur_4h_02_01_13.gif
    eur_4h_02_01_13.gif
    29.8 KB · Views: 125
  • eur_1h_02_01_13.gif
    eur_1h_02_01_13.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Thu 03, January 2013

Good morning,
probably, guys you see all staff by yourself - our fears were warranted and panned out. Market has shows relatively rear situation with DRPO pattern, but that is the risk that we've discussed. That's why DiNapoli suggests failure of DRPO at close - as we see DRPO was not cancelled, since market has not closed above invalidation point but returned right back below 3x3.
Today price has erased Butterfly, although early signs we've seen even yesterday. Recall, what was said yesterday - if market will return inside of triangle, especially below WPP and erase long white candle... That has happened, so destruction of butterfly is just a consequence, but not the reason. Also it was said that we could start think about bearish scenario, only if these will happened. So, it did.
Trend is bearish, and personally I do not see any bullish patterns or DiNapoli directionals right now. So, context is probably bearish. As potential targets, we could use 50% support of recent swing on daily - DRPO min target or daily K-support around 1.3040-1.3060 area that is also daily Oversold.
Currently market stands at MPP and nearest Fib support level. So, some bounce up could happen. This carries risk again, but now for bears. You can see that situation is very tricky in nowadays, market is changing situation from top to bottom every day, we have to be sensitive to early hints, that might tell us about traps.

On 4-hour chart trend bearish as well, on 4h chart you see breakout of triangle, WPS1. Since market now does not have any clear AB=CD's, we have to look at this chart from a bit other side.
On 4h1 we see sideways consolidation. Based on it potential target is 1.3030 - agreed with daily K-area+OS. Trap - is potential failure breakout, since MPP could give significant support. IF market will move right back inside of rectangle - it could continue to upper border of it. So, keep an eye on this. Natural development suggests just possible re-test of lower border and downward continuation.

Hourly chart tells how it could be - lower border coincides with K-resistance. Harmonic swings suggest approximately the same retracement. So, 1.3165-1.3175 is an area where market should turn down, if bears are really in play. If price will proceed higher and return inside of consolidation - do not enter short.

It's very difficult to trade current market, it's very tricky and lot of traps here. If it has changed context totally from bullish to bearish, why this couldn't happen again? Be very flexible and sensitive to any early signs of failure of major context.

Attachments

• eur_d_03_01_13.gif
    eur_d_03_01_13.gif
    37.8 KB · Views: 124
  • eur_4h_03_01_13.gif
    eur_4h_03_01_13.gif
    28.5 KB · Views: 121
  • eur_4h1_03_01_13.gif
    eur_4h1_03_01_13.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 116
  • eur_1h_03_01_13.gif
    eur_1h_03_01_13.gif
    29.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Fri 04, January 2013

Good morning,
when market has cancelled a lot of bullish issues - that's itself could be treated as bearish intention. So, looks like our bet on bearish development was correct. I dare to suggest that you were able to compensate all losses from bullish positions in the beginning of the week...

On daily time frame market has accomplished minimum target of DRPO "Sell" pattern at 1.3090 level and proceeded right to our major support - 1.3040-1.3040 K-area + OS. Recall, that 1.3030 is a rectangle's breakout target on 4-hour chart.
Although trend is bearish, as well as price action - this is not the time to enter short and even may be to take a profit, at least partially. For those who has missed this move - don't be upset and do not rush to enter now. Today's Friday, it's better to wait a rally to sell into. Especially because this opportunity exists. Next support on daily is MPS1 around 1.2950.

4-hour chart gives us excellent thrust, that could be a foundation for bounce on daily from significant support. Again, it could be based on DiNapoli directional pattern - either DRPO "Buy" or B&B "Sell". Personally, I prefer to get the latter.
Another way, how it could turn - is harmonic reversal on lower time frames - Butterfly, 3-Drive, H&S or something of that sort.
Since market just has reached this area, it had no time to form any recognizable, so I suppose that it's better to take pause today and wait.

Hourly chart is very interesting from educational purpose. I've left Fib levels intact from previous analysis, they are not the levels for current swing. Look, on two things - first is, how market reversed at the level that we've specified - K-reisistance
and lower border of rectangle. Very natural behavior. Moving above it could become a destruction of bearish scenario, and lead to W&R of lower border. Second moment is - how harmonic swings work, they continue to hold harmony and later, even till current moment. Really nice tool...

So, conclusion is - we at strong support, and this is not the proper time to enter short, better to wait for a bounce. Rally could be based either on some DiNapoli directional on 4-hour time frame, or on some pattern at lower time frames. BTW, we have bullish directional pattern on daily - it calls "Stretch", but I never recommend to ride on it, until you have significant experience to trade against the market's flow.

Attachments

• eur_1h_04_01_13.gif
    eur_1h_04_01_13.gif
    27.6 KB · Views: 129
  • eur_4h_04_01_13.gif
    eur_4h_04_01_13.gif
    32 KB · Views: 125
  • eur_d_04_01_13.gif
    eur_d_04_01_13.gif
    37.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Hi Sive,

Well, I'm also think price will splash up...but just to add one more possible scenario...market will break down pennant/triangle and retesting recent 100% AB-CD target on H1 around 1.3173 (target of the pennant also) without invalidate H4 butterfly sell...then after that market will proceed move up as daily timeframe suppose...if this is the case, we'll deal with really tricky situation but the ending is...bull is the winner....just 2 cents opinion....anyway, monday is the D-Day...make it or break it:confused:

Last edited:
WHAUW, the email link did not get me to this page, but after doing a search this FINALLY turned up.

I expect when the BIG boys come back to the market, they will show us that any stronger Euro won't benefit anybody, plus what is going on with the BoJ will dictate more clarity.

Just my 2 cents.

Hello everybody. I wish you all and your family a very happy and prosperous new year 2013. :)
I think it would be nice closing 2012 and beginning 2013 sharing our trading performance. Personally, thanks to Sive and very hard work, i'm closing this year with a nice +24% of my trading account (with a maximum drawdown of 10,5%). What about you?
Anyway, happy new year again :)

Hey Sive,

Just wanted to say Happy New Years. Surely Russians celebrate New Years on the same day as the rest of the world? Hahahhaa.

Have a good one, Sive. Hope you and your family have a great one!

Best,
Brandon

Back