Anyone trading the JPY GDP numbers today Aug 16th?

dolamite

Recruit
Just wondering if the impact is going to be tradeable. It's supposed to be "high impact" but curious since there's no signal given out by FPA or Jarad's blog. Is a move either way expected on the USD/JPY today at 7:30 est New York?

Just announce. Seems a good bullish for JPY. Prelim GDP q/q. Actual: -0.4% Forecast: -0.5% Previous: 1.0%

Got that, but it seems the small improvement wasn't enough to move the usd/jpy all that much. I think the yoy numbers(which was supposed to be less of an impact) trumped the small improvement over the forecast of the qoq number. Right at release there was a little pullback and settled. A few minutes later the USD started rallying right after the yoy number came out(1.6 as opposed to the forecast of 2.2) and the Japanese mkt opened up. I'm assuming the long-term picture prevailed.

Got that, but it seems the small improvement wasn't enough to move the usd/jpy all that much. I think the yoy numbers(which was supposed to be less of an impact) trumped the small improvement over the forecast of the qoq number. Right at release there was a little pullback and settled. A few minutes later the USD started rallying right after the yoy number came out(1.6 as opposed to the forecast of 2.2) and the Japanese mkt opened up. I'm assuming the long-term picture prevailed.

Yup. But today announcement did impacted on strong Nikkei today.

Back