FOREX PRO WEEKLY September 30-October 04, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
Guys, difference between close price of current week and previous week stands just for 1 pippet. Thus, this is really nothing to add on monthly chart and I hold previous analysis intact. Since we’ve discussed fundamental picture with details on previous week, today I just want to say that markets mostly indecision accross the board. Yes, price is moving, people buys and sells, but price stands in range and this trading stands with reduced volumes. I have some worrings that something could happen in October. There are different reasons for that and unfortunately all of them are blur. But here is what I see. First is stock market. It definitely overblown and there is a definite bubble on it. We’ve talked about it aready and it is very probable that big part of every monthly 85Bln are there. There are some signs of weakness are started to appear on equities. First, is classical issue – you’ll find clear divergence between DJIA, DJ Transport and DJ Utility. Second is – Nikkei225 and FTSE 100 have not created new high that now could be seen on NASDAQ and S&P500. Finally, if will take a look at DJIA and trading volumes, you’ll see 2.5 times greater volume on big pluge right from the current top. On weekly chart there are a lot of weeks where selling volume greater than average one and in general, in recent time trading volume increases when market declinces. Also top on weekly chart is a W&R with just huge volume and close price right near the open. This could be an early signal that large players have started to sell. Then, the logical question, where they put their money? Definitely not in equities and not in the bonds, since they stand at minimum yields. I’ve found only last chance for that – gold. Gold stands not too low, but not too high – around 1340. Thus, to start buying gold they need to drop it a bit – reduce price and simultaneously hit out existing buyers by triggering their stops. This puts us to conclusion that we should see as dropping of stock market as gold market. How this could happen? There is only one possible scenario for that, I suppose. If Fed Reserve will announce contraction of QE in October. In this case equities will drop, since there will not be any more inflow with easy money and buble will start to blow off. At the same time gold will drop, because currently inflation is anemic and closing 85 Bln inflow will make the risk of inflation even less. Thus, big whales should have some time lag, they need to sell stocks before market will drop, thus, to transfer money into gold. And signs on stock market probably already show that they gradually are started to sell. Thus, they probably will mostly finish to sell right before October FOMC meeting. Also, it is significant that something should happen definitely in October. Because there will not be a meeting in November and hardly they will start to shake markets in December, when financial year is closing, most corporation stands out of positions and do nothing on financial markets. This is a period of bonuses’ calculation before Christmas, but not phase of active trading.
So, continue logical chain, they need some trigger to announce contraction of QE program and they will have two major ones – NFP and preliminary GDP for 3rd quarter, since meeting will stand at 29-30 of October, and this data should be positive, I suppose. But understand me correctly. This is just assumption, if you want to trade with them, but not against them, you should create such thoughts and spend time on it, even if your conclusions will not be quite correct, they must be done. I do not want to say that this definitely will happen and has to happen, I just don’t know. But we need to keep in mind this and if something of that sort will appear we should do our best to catch our small piece of pie.
Now let’s go back to technical analysis. Our riddle with flag consolidation stands very close to its resolving probably. On monthly chart we have two major moments. First is market has moved above previous high (in red circle). This is important not only because this is high per se, but also because this was a previous failure upward breakout of consolidation. And as market has move right back above it – this tells that this probably is real move at this time. Second – market stands above 50% resistance level that has stopped move up early. I do not know how it will turn, but at least now picture looks bullish. Next monthly target is 1.3775-1.3830 area. It includes yearly pivot resistance1, 5/8 Fib resistance and minor 0.618 extension target of current AB-CD up. Other words, we have an Agreement around YPR1. Trend holds bullish here.

eur_m_30_09_13.png

Weekly
Weekly chart just confirms with small inside week that market participants do not hurry up with increasing their positions. Trend is still bullish here. Currently we have the only pattern here and this is butterfly “sell” and we still use AB=CD extension on monthly chart. Trend is bullish here. As market has passed through as MPR1 as MPR2 it solid challenge on continuation and it looks like that we should see it. Long term invalidation point is a low of butterlfy (in red circle). If market will move below it – it will not only erase butterfly but also put under question our monthly AB=CD. Trend also will shift bearish probably around this level. Take a look that we have really huge resistance cluster at 1.38-1.39 area. Recall monthly target and Fib level and now add 1.27 butterfly target, weekly overbought and inner 1.618 AB=CD target. But fortunately we have pretty a lot of room till this area. Second, butterfly pattern could be a long-play one. May be there will be some retracement around 1.27 extension, but who says that it can’t proceed to 1.618? And guys, I have suspicious that this will be the case.
Recall how 2 weeks ago we’ve talked about EUR swings on weekly chart. EUR usually shows AB=CD with very small BC leg. When it completes 100% of this AB=CD it shows significant and wide retracement/consolidations. That is where we stand now and later it usually skyrockets to 1.618 of initial AB-CD. That is an area where 1.618 of our butterfly stands – around 1.42-1.43 This stands beyond a bit of our weekly analysis cycle and overbought but this is really thrilling perspective....
The thing that we do not want to see is a deep and stable return below previous highs around 1.3450 by reasons that we’ve discussed many times on daily time frame.
eur_w_30_09_13.png

Daily
Here is sophisticated situation. Market stands in tight range just above nearest 3/8 support level and former WPP. As market shows so shy retracement after reaching of overbought level it could be treated as bullish sign. From other point of view, market has failed yesterday to continue upward action and pass through resistance and it is not at overbought any more. This makes me think that we still could get another leg down that we’ve discussed on previous week, to daily K-support and re-testing broken highs around 1.3420-1.3450 area. Trend holds bullish and by MACDP – price could touch it very soon. Thus, another moment to keep an eye on is possible bullish stop grabber on daily time frame.
Currently I do not see any interesting patterns right here. Previously we’ve talked about possible DRPO “Sell” LAL here and this opportunity has not been vanished totally yet. I do not have 3x3 DMA here, but if you will plot it, you’ll see that we’ve got close below and close above it by far. So we need second close below to get confirmation and I can’t exclude this possibility, mostly due to the failure of the market to pass higher on Friday.
eur_d_30_09_13.png

4-hour
Here we have the same question as previously. Market has failed to continue move down and give us downward AB=CD and buttefly “Buy” at 1.3420 area on hourly chart, that we’ve discussed yesterday. Instead of that it has made an attempt to move higher. Although price action has erased hourly butterfly but chances for downward AB-CD still exist.
At the same time price was not able to pass through daily resistance and stuck inside. This makes me think, that market could, for example, just accomplish upward AB=CD compounded retracement and now is ready to turn down again. Whatever will happen, currently we do not have much chances and interest setups for taking position. Also this situation could be treated as it’s shown on hourly chart.
eur_4h_30_09_13.png

60-min
As we’ve taken a look at EUR from harmonic patterns point view, let’s now take a classical as well. Here we have nothing but horizontal range, or rectangle, as you wish. Interestingly that borders of rectangle coinside with pivots on coming week and WPP stands accurately in the middle of the range. Thus, classical approach suggests that if market will pass through the middle level, it should reach at minimum the lower border of rectangle. The same is true for Pivot points. Any real breakout will suggest continuation – that is true as for classical analysis as for pivot points analysis. Classical analysis also suggests the target – eguals to the height of rectangle, counted in the direction of breakout. So, guys, if you like ping-pong trading, you can try it. As we have major event on coming week only on Friday, it is possible that market will be relatively calm in the beginning of the week.
eur_1h_30_09_13.png

Conclusion:
On big picture market stands at the eve of opening solid bullish perspectives initially to 1.38 area and ultimately up to 1.42-1.43. At least, currently it looks so.
On daily chart overall bullish context holds. The only pattern here that could be suggested is DRPO “Sell” LAL, since on the intraday charts market does not show clear setup and stands in tight range.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update Tue 01, October 2013

Good morning,
well, guys, markets have dived into turmoil pretty fast, right on October 1st. So, government was not able to come to agreement on budget and procedure of government shutdown has started. What does it mean? By price action markets you can see that markets shocked a bit - very quiet, no action.
It means that many many employees will have to take undesirable vacation and most government entities will stop function - zoo, museums, even beach rescues and social entities. Utilities, Military forces FBI and security, US Post will continue to work. What consequences could follow? Nobody knows. But this hardly could be called as favorable situation for US economy and budget. Now all depends on when government will come to agreement. Obviously the bestway is as soon as possible. In this case US economy could avoid hard negative impact and social problems. Really tough start of October, guys. What we will get on other events...
Speaking about pure technical picture, as you can see, not much could be added. Market stands in tight range, trying to assess what is going on and what results it could bring. But when market stands in the range and contracting, it means that it building an energy and should show explosive exit.
Very probable that it will happen to the upside. We have excellent thrust up. After hitting daily overbought and resistance, market has shown just slight retracement down to nearest 3/8 support. This points on hidden bullish power.
eur_d_01_10_13.png

On current week we also have comfortable placing of pivot points. They are coincide with borders of the range. Thus, if market will show exit out from the range, it probably will pass at minimum 100 pips in the direction of the breakout - height of the rectangle. Our monthly and weekly chart suggest upward move, when market could reach 1.37-1.38 area at minimum.
eur_4h_01_10_13.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Wed 02, October 2013

Good morning,
If you let me, I'll start from thought, that has come in my mind today's morning. Probably, guys, we will not get NFP numbers on current week, since Department of Labor does not function. They do not have enough working employees to calculate and release statistics. But this is not the major moment. The major one - what will happen, if government will be shut down on October 17th - the debt ceil date....
Speaking about technical picture, we probably stand at the eve of resolving of current consolidation. Price currently is crossing with MACDP on daily chart and if we will get stop grabber, we should see upward breakout of consolidation and 100 pips up move at minimum.
At the same time there is valid possibility for DRPO "Sell" either. Thus, the result will depend on market closing. If we will get grabber, then we will not get 2nd close below 3x3 and vice versa.
eur_d_02_10_13.png

On 4 hour chart we do not see much new. May be only yesterday's W&R, but market has achieved minimum target already - middle of the range. Now is the question, whether it will turn up again or proceed to lower border
eur_4h_02_10_13.png

Here, guys, on hourly chart price action is rather choppy, so I've decided to separate it on parts and de-compose it a bit. Thus, we have side-by-side two 1.27 "Butterflies" I'm not sure could be treat it as 3-Drive sell, but probably more "yes" than "no", since ratios were held nice. Also take a look, swings are very harmonic. So, if this is real 3-Drive, then we probably will not get grabber on daily, since 3-Drive assumes deeper move down. Anyway, I do not call you trade right now on hourly chart. That's just an attempt to understand, what we have here. I mostly call you look at daily chart and wait when we will get more clarification - either grabber or DRPO "Sell".
eur_1h_02_10_13.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Thu 03, October 2013

Good morning,
well, it has happened that stop grabber was simultaneously the candle, that has hit its target. :) Sometime this happens. Anyway... In the beginning want to say couple of words concerning US shut down. Now there are a lot of speeches on TV and papers on Debt ceil subject and we also have announced this yesterday. By this concern USD is falling, gold is growing etc. But, guys, I suspect that default or any turmoil hardly will happen by plan. Defaults and tumoils happen suddenly, that' why they lead to panic and carry a lot of possibilities to make money for big whales. Now everybody knows about 17th of October.
"You've said that there will be a default on 17th?" Ok, I'll take some gold then"... Hardly it will happen in this way. So, what application it has for trading? Simple. Current move up as on gold as on EUR should finish by miserable plunge with a lot of screaming around. And this probably really could happen right on the edge of 17th when hope will fade that everything will get happy end. Gold should fall and EUR, stocks will rise. But stocks hardly will be interesting for whales, since, I suspect that they mostly have sold them already. Their particular interest is gold, since they need convert paper in real asset, and they need it cheap. As we said previously, this could be done even more by announcing QE contraction. The major task here is to catch right moment...
Speaking about short-term situation on EUR (and keeping in mind all that we've said previously), EUR could drift slightly higher to 1.3650-1.3690 area - 1.618 extension resistance of previous daily retracement and MPR1.
eur_d_03_10_13.png

On 4-hour chart we have this butterfly as well, but it has a bit closer target, around 1.3650.
eur_4h_03_10_13.png

Thus, in nearest term, we need keep an eye on this high:
eur_1h_03_10_13.png

When, and if market will return right back, we will think what to do. If you still have longs, you can keep them a bit more, just tight stops, but if you do not have any positions - I do not see right now what could be done here. Enter long a bit late, enter short is a bit early. Let's see then...

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Fri 04, October 2013

Good morning,
today we can't add much to previous analysis. Market gradually is continuing move higher and we have discussed major fundamental thoughts yesterday. As market is approaching to our destination, it makes sense to think about stop tightening or even taking profit partially.
Today we probably will not see NFP release, but some volatility around 8:30 Chicago time could come. Our target on daily stands around 1.3670-1.3690 - an area between 1.618 extension of previous retracement on daily chart and MPR1:

eur_d_04_10_13.png

Another reason, why it makes sense to think about profit protection is our Butterfly "Sell" on 4-hour chart, since market has hit it's 1.618 target:
eur_4h_04_10_13.png

Now market has turned to some upward channel action, you can see it easily on houlry chart. May be we will see some upward continuation may be not, but price now stands at our nearest target and it means that now we have to turn to some profit taking/protection procedure.

Last edited:
hi sive,

thank you for your in-depth analysis again, markets seem to be seesawing, and don't know which way to go.

morgan stanley said: A break above the august high of 1.3450 is unlikely,they said on sept 11, they took a short position @ 1.3450, and targeting 1.2600.

really doesn't mean much though, i've seen big institutions say one thing and do another. they have very deep pockets, and stop loss, lol.

anyway, we are not god that knows the end from the beginning, so we keep on keeping on, and try for bigger wins and smaller loses.

thanks again mr. morten for excellent job.

Hello to everybody, hope you enjoyed weekend as much as possible, I did not, bad weather and lots of work with analysis....hope soon will be better.

Yes, Sive, I agree with mess ahead. Checked 3 DJs indeces and found nothing special, Utility is currently a bit low compared to Industrial and did not make high, yet (?!):

DJs.png

Nikkei and FTSE, same as CAC and many others are behind, but DAX is doing same as DJ & SP. But pictures of these three are really scarry:

INDECES.jpg

I just marked levels for which I expect to be touched sooner od later.

We never speak about Commitments of Traders so I decided to say a word. Here is the chart for eurusd

CoT EUROSD 17.04.2012-24.09.2013.png

(source CoT Charts :: Dukascopy Bank SA | Swiss Forex Bank | ECN Broker | Managed accounts | Swiss FX trading platform ) and I found interesting moment: atm is more longs than at previous high @ 1,3711 from Feb 1st 2013; what would this mean? Are we really ready to break above that peak? I think not yet, but think we should go above till the end of the year or early 2014. Looking at different instruments I think we could get corrections but not sell off, at least not yet, maybe in 2nd or 3rd quarter next year.

So much about overall situation, eurusd is in next post.

ye 1 bhat achi thread banayi gayi hai men is se boht khush hun mujhe to english aati nahi hai isliye men ye sab urdoo men likhta hun kisi k kam to aa jayegi

Here I go with eurusd.

I am bullish, very bullish, as already said I saw target 1,4940+ but in this year, next year 1,3958+ will be enough if this level would not be hit this year. I made large TFs analysis and on Yearly I found most attractive tripple sideways correction (3 flats) and atm we are in b leg of 3rd one. I expect it will make upper fractal and in this year 1,4940 is minimum to exceed. Next, quartely is ok but what about this peak @ 1,3711, will hold or be broken, is it B for down or A for up? I think A for up...Same problem on Monthly with nice red leg down, ought to be impulse so is it a for down or c of hidden flat? Well, I think is a for down! And here is weekly: total mess at first sight so I did Daily and there I found what I should expect..

Big TFs:

EURUSD.BigTFs.jpg

Daily: I think this move up is bull trap and I expect to go down to 1,25 before higher...only up move and close above 1,38 will change my opinion but I do not expect it.

EURUSD.D.png

1H: Fridays chart, just erased some tools; I think 5-0 pattern will work and just minor b retrace and into c leg down which must not hit channel line so ending diagonal as C daily will be in play; height must not exceed 100% of 3ED or something else is in play..at same level is butterfly sell confluence.
ps: 5th wave can exceed 100% of 3rd because 3rd is longer than 1st, sorry!

201309291915_H1.jpg

My trading plan for Monday, if there will be no 100 pips up gap: wait for making low c4ED and long to butterfly sell agreement level and if move will be normal 3legs, short against 1,25......

Good trading!!

Last edited:
Back