Ponzi Scheme Managed Account Question - Courtenay House Trading Group

Guaranteed profits become guaranteed losses.
Septemberrain,

Although Ponzis and other forms of account mismanagement are a subject I've studied extensively, I can't be certain exactly when and where things went off the rails in this case.

For example, a very large number of Ponzi schemes really started out as legitimate investments. Then, either due to market shifts wrecking a great trading strategy, violation of pre-established trading rules (VERY common when a trader panics), or over confidence early in the game leading to the inability to meet promises made to clients, the firm/trader lies about results and "borrows" some money from deposits to pay profits. Bernard Madoff did this. Even Charles Ponzi himself did this - his original arbitrage scheme really worked, but he couldn't resist all the investor money being thrown at him and there was a size limit to his plan.

At this point, only ASIC and the people behind Courtenay have the facts of when what at least appeared to be a legitimate business ceased being legitimate. It may have been planned from the start or may have been something which a real investment company devolved into over time.

For now, follow ASIC's request. Send them anything you've got. Dig for ANY info you have on where you sent money to and where any money you received came from. I hope ASIC has frozen all of the accounts, but there is always a chance that one or more slipped through the cracks.

Mightyowl,

I find it unusual that the guys in charge are represented, while the companies themselves are not. This makes it seem like the people running the companies consider the companies to be expendable. If I was an investor, this would not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Then again, being invested in a company which earned a dedicated investigation page on ASIC's site would also make me worry. :D

What you say about interest going up from 1.5% all the way to 7.5% per month is another warning sign. If I open a savings account at my bank, I certainly expect to get more interest with a $200k account than an account with only $1000 in it. The upper rate is 5 times the lower rate. As a comparison, if the rate a bank paid on a $1000 deposit was 1.5% per year, I'd be very surprised if the same bank jumped that all the way to 7.5% per year for a $200k deposit. The bank's savings program, just like any pooled investment, would want to encourage larger deposits, but that's an unusually wide spread of interest for a yearly rate and an impossible safe repayment on a monthly rate. That sort of jump in the percent interest is more common in HYIP style Ponzi websites than in Ponzi's attempting to act as registered corporations with offices and insurance plans.

I'd love to know how the 15% plan worked. I'm just speculating but I'll bet it required being in the 7.5% plan and recruiting others in at that same level. If you find out, please post it.

As above, send ALL info to ASIC. While ASIC has a dedicated page asking for this information, anyone implying that people shouldn't share information with ASIC does not have your best interests at heart.

yeah thanks for reply @Pharaoh time will tell what really happened here really need wait for ASIC investigation to get the hard facts , i wasen't in as deep as alot of other people here and didnt recieve the high return rates so i cant comment how the 4%/7%+ payments went or there 15% special monthly trading offers as i wasn't that heavily invested in them.

and to answer your question above @ pharaoh regarding monthly trading offers, you needed to be an existing client and to take part in the special trading offers (15% profit)/(20% risk) you just needed new capital (no capital shuffle allowed) and the duration was usually 4 weeks (1month) some people were talking about the brexit offer before assests got frozen this is the monthly trading offer im talking about.

Also regarding the 7% payment they changed the rules alot you couldnt access this unless you had a ton of money it used to be the following before it got changed to 200k this year and you were allowed 50k at 7.5%.

this was the old rules regarding it before it got changed earlier this year:

This is just a courtesy reminder around risk and compliance. Please note our 'Elite 7.5%' program has a 15% risk and is considered high risk. You may not have more than 10% of your capital in this program and a minimum investment of $500k.

This means for every $500k you may have $50k in Elite. If you are over compliance then you may be asked to transfer down to lower risk by either our compliance audit partner or by our company direct.

to all other clients follow what i said above and advice from @Pharaoh and send ASIC every single piece of information you have this is all you can do now until the court date or until ASIC releases new information regarding the investigation.

In addressing the extent to which I may choose to share my confidential agreements with ASIC, I feel that extreme caution should be observed.

I suspect you may be incorrect in the guidance you have provided about 'telling ASIC everything you know', Toldyaso. In a conversation with one of ASIC's legal team yesterday, they now have what they need and do not require further input from 'the consumer' as we are known. ASIC's investigation, moving forward, will focus on breaches under the ACT. Collateral damage which has been caused to the consumer by these breaches will be managed by the liquidator.

Pani959,

Above you mentioned "these breaches will be managed by the liquidator", are these your words or the words of the ASIC investigator i.e was the investigator suggesting that funds are missing and there was the potential that CHCTG would be liquidated?

If CHTCG is found guilty and charged ,than asic will appoint a liquidator and assign clients funds in that case ,until the ASIC investigation/court verdict is finalized we will not know,if they have misappropriation of funds or what was really going on with this company. the 25M figure they froze could be alot or little, we have to wait for more information to know if this figure was a drop in the ocean or not.

there is really no point speculating until more information is released by ASIC ,unless the court date early september gets postpone, all of this should be wrapped up within the next few months.

@Pharaoh I am so relieved I took your advice back in Nov (page 2 of this thread) and decided not to 'invest' in this fund saving myself a lot of stress and anxiety. I do hope things work out positively for those who did and ASIC looks after the investors. Also the admin running the Facebook page, not sure if you are aware that all the 40 odd members are visible to public. May want to protect their privacy.

Wish I'd found this post 6 months ago when researching the company. Although in hind sight my searches were 6 to 12 months before that.
Despite all the warning signs I went ahead and invested with CHCTG.
A friend of a friend had been investing with the company for years and had never had issues or losses. So 6 months ago I invested 100K to test the water. After enough to cove my "maximum 10% loss" I invested another 200. That went well for 2 months. The rest is history now
From what I've heard I'll be lucky to get back 5% of my investment if ASIC has retained only 25Mil

Has anyone else heard that ASIC got involved because some investors tried to withdraw funds and were given the runaround and reported them to ASIC?

@Badjudgement

where is your source of information from? 5% of your money back is implying they had over 250m+ under there management i honestly dont think they were that big but im sure asic will release that information in time.

Same question as above for your second comment, wheres your source of information.

all the best to you with this situation! personally im hoping for something of atleast 25% of original investment back i hope it isn't something as low as 5%

Looking at the first email from Tony. Amazing what we choose to ignore based on a conversation with him.........

"Risk Warning Notice:

CFDs and margin Forex are leveraged products and carry a high level of risk and are not suitable for everyone.You can lose a substantially more than initial deposit and also you do not own or have any interest in the underlying asset.Any profit or risk estimates are approximates only and do not take into account any commissions or fees. Past performance is not indicative of future performance."

I was never advised about fees but a statement of account indicated they were fairly reasonable when they were read

Badjudgement, the general consensus is that they have a lot more than $25 million in frozen funds. That $25 million is only referring to one account - and Courtenay House had several. But as mentioned previously, all of this is speculation until we got more information from the court on September 4, or if CH agree to a liquidation prior to that date - apparently ASIC already have a liquidator ready.

Regarding your comment saying that clients were unable to withdraw funds, I do know that several clients who were probably given a heads up by the director withdrew most of their funds prior to April 21.

Back