Stop loss hit but chart doesn't confirm it

Hello! I have a simple question for a very annoying issue for me.
Today I opened a sell order of EUR/USD with a stop loss of 1.32571. It got hit at 09.07, but MT4 chart showed at that time a high of 1.32560. Correct me if I am wrong, but if the chart is at bid price, how could the stop loss be hit?

Every currency pair has a bid/offer spread. For EURUSD, it will have a spread of 1 to 2 pips for most brokers.

Thus, if you SELL EURUSD, in order to close your position, you need to BUY. Your stop loss is at 1.3257. That means to close your position, the broker will quote the BUY price of 1.3257. Thus, with a spread of 1-2pips, it is correct that the SELL price of 1.3256 shown on chart will mean a BUY price of 1.3257 or 1.3258.

That is why your stop loss is hit.

Hello! I have a simple question for a very annoying issue for me.
Today I opened a sell order of EUR/USD with a stop loss of 1.32571. It got hit at 09.07, but MT4 chart showed at that time a high of 1.32560. Correct me if I am wrong, but if the chart is at bid price, how could the stop loss be hit?

uwei's explaination is great.

and Paolo, if you want, you can email to the broker you traded. They have duty have to answer your question.

Back