FOREX PRO Weekly June 03-07, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
Despite rather drammatical action on previous week, monthly chart has not changed much.
Monthly chart now looks very intriguing. First of all here we can see impact of yearly pivot support. This is really long-term support and it rather strong, especially since it coincides with 50% Fib support, and market can’t still pass through it. In fact, moving below yearly pivot will give market the direction for the rest of the year – that’s why this level is significant.
On previous week we’ve discussed appearing of bullish engulfing pattern around 1.29 area and perspectives of it, but on passed week market has shown too extended retracement down. Although lows of engulfing have not been taken out, now it starts to look more as flag bearish continuation pattern, rather than upward continuation appeal.
Currently I do not see valuable reasons to speak about upward trend – signs of it are weak, if they exist at all. it will be possible to start think about potential upward action only if market will return right back to major 50% resistance around 1.3500 area at minimum, or even will take out 1.37 highs.
Conversely bearish continuation needs to show shallower confirmations – will be enough, if market will break flag down and move below yearly pivot point. Perspectives of this potential action are really impressive. First road will be to 1.2150- 1.2330 Yearly pivot support 1 and all time 50% support. But next is 1.1650 – take a look, may be you also will find potential left wing of butterfly “Buy” here...
Even if we take a look at nature of action here, we can see that downward candles are faster, greater and heavier. Previous retracement up lasted for 7 monthly, but after 2 months market has passed half of it back. The combination of all these moments makes me think that domination on bears’ side still. I can’t specify precisely the value of it, but it seems that bears have more power here now. Although we do not see it here, but on lower time frame we just can get compounded upward retracement (we call it as “retracement” by far), that will postpone a bit downward action. It clearly could be seen on weekly time frame.

eur_m_03_06_13.png

Weekly
On weekly time frame we can see this procrastinatory factor that we’ve taked about. Take a look that left shoulder of our pattern has AB-CD shape. Since H&S is harmonic pattern – the right shoulder also can take AB-CD shape. Although on previous 2 weeks we have talked about possible bounce up from neckline and anticipated that – initially we thought that this should not last too long, but now we see that bouce is a bit extended in time and this move up holds for the second week in a row. Now let’s try to assess and investigate the type of this move and how will be reasonable to treat it.
By my humble opinion this is not yet the challenge for AB-CD up. I do not know exactly, but somehow I am not ready to treat it as started AB-CD. I mostly gravitate to the thought that this is just retracement by far from the downward swing. I can explain. Look at previous upward continuations - as with left shoulder, when market bounce up from the neckline, as around 1.20 low. Both supports give market significant acceleration and candles were long and close near the top. But here we do not see this action yet. Past week has long shadows and not impressive range to the upside. This makes me think that current upward could not become completed AB-CD, but CD leg could be shorter and not neccesary will lead to 1.33 level. Anyway we will see, but currently we should not overvalue the meaning and nature of current move up from neckline. This leads to conclusion that bear trend is still intact as patterns that are forming here.
eur_w_03_06_13.png

Daily
On daily time frame situation looks blurring a bit. Trend holds bullish, but market is not at overbought yet. Price has reached our Agreement resistance area and shown reasonable retracement down. What’s next? Was it just a retracement or, as we’ve said it could be “222” Sell pattern and it was just AB-CD retracement up? But the major disappointment here is that daily chart can’t clarify this totally, at least not yet. Here we have some bullish signs – strong breakout through previous 50% support and 1.2950 swing low resistance. After reaching 1.3050 resistance market has shown retracement and re-tested broken 1.2950 area. This is normal behavior for bullish price development. Thus, here we probably can try to estimate some significant and crucial levels that will help us to understand whether situation holds normal or something is wrong.
For upward action we need to keep an eye on 1.2920 area. After hitting AB-CD target market can show 5/8 retracement or only 50%, but too extended move down will look suspicious and will be the first sign that situation could turn to “222” sell. Next upward target is minor 61.8% extension of large weekly AB-CD and it stands at 1.31 area. If market will hold above 1.2920 and show 3-Drive “sell” pattern – it’s target also will be around it. Thus, to keep 1.31 target valid, market should not show move deeper than 1.2920.
For bears this will be probably the time of expectation. As trend holds bullish on daily as well as price action and we do not have any bearish pattern or something of that sort – we can’t enter short right now. We need either trend shifting or appearing some bearish combination or pattern. But if market will move below as weekly as monthly pivots and break through 1.2920 – this could be the first signs of downward continuation.
eur_d_03_06_13.png

4-hour
This time frame also keeps door open for both directions. We have 1.27 butterfly pattern, that is also could become the 2nd drive in our potential 3-Drive “sell” pattern. This butterfly has 1.27 point right at our daily Agreement area and market has shown nice response on it.
Simulteniously this move down has created excellent context for DiNapoli B&B “Buy” and market behaves absolutely accordingly to our expectation – has hit 3/8 major support (that is also previous 1.2950 broken low) within 3 close below 3x3 DMA and now market is showing the bounce up. Interesting that 1.618 extesnion stands right at 1.31 – minor target of weekly AB-CD pattern and WPS1.
So, the possible development here as follows. First is – market probably will hit B&B target that is 5/8 resistance of whole downward retracement. But after that some variations are possible. We will get either AB=CD retracement down right to 1.2920, or upward continuation to 1.31. So, be careful with long position that you have based on B&B (if you have any). As market will hit 1.3016 – take at least half the profit and move stop loss on breakeven on the rest half of your position.
It is difficult to advise initiating of new position right now, since stop will be too far and risk/reward inatractive. That’s why for short position it will be better to wait reaching of 1.31 area, while if you would like to enter long – wait retracement to 1.2920. I do not want to say that market will turn up there, but as we’ve said in daily part – this is one of our significant points. Market stands now at resistance and it is not logical to take long right here.
eur_4h_03_06_13.png

30-min
Since currently we have a lack of clear oportunities for trading, actually we just have in progress B&B – let’s discuss the scalp trade and framework of DiNapoli “Minesweeper” entry technique.
When you’re dealing with B&B, the major question that appears right at the beginning is how to determine from which level B&B will start. There are different possibilities exist, but we will focus only on current pattern. We know that B&B has to start within 3 closes below 3x3 DMA and from some significant support area. As market has hit support only during 3rd close – we didn’t need to guess. That was the only point where B&B could start and it has started.
After that we have to switch on lower time frame. Here I take 30-min chart. First thing that we have to wait here is when trend will shift bullish. Other words, when trend will support higher time frame bullish setup. Here we see that this has happened by solid upward jump right from support level. If you would like to apply Minesweeper “A” entry technique you need to enter long at first retracement after initial bounce up from higher time frame support and simulteniously control that trend here remains bullish. Both of these moments were accomplished apporximately at 50% retracement after initial move up. If you have missed this entry, you still can apply Minesweeper “B” technique. It almost the same to “A”, but assumes entry at firt K-support area that will appear when upward action will start develop.
Now take a look at the chart – we have perfect setup fo Minesweeper “B” entry. Trend hold bullish and it will remain bullish even if market will reach our K-support at 1.2977-1.2979 area. That is what we want to see. Harmonic swing of previous retracement also confirms this level as potential retracement target. This is good add-on. Thus, if you still want to take scalp part in B&B trading – you can try to take long at K-support with stop below 1.2965 area – 5/8 Fib support and WPP. Besides, you probably will have a chance even to move your stop at breakeven, since market probably will show a bounce up at first touch of K-area. Thus, if you will become wrong you will lose nothing or even gain something, but if you’re right you will get nice position that has tight stop, excellent risk/reward ratio and even potential to reach 1.31...
All these moments DiNapoli discusses in his book in “advance” entry technique, when he describes his intraday trading on S&P, but on the book it was written a bit complicated.
eur_30m_03_06_13.png

Conclusion:
In a big picture market stands at the edge of the deep – some steps down on monthly chart could lead to really dramatic fall to extended downward targets. Although downward action probably will be postponed a bit, even move to 1.33 will not cancel it totally.
Meantime, on short-term picture we have no choice but have to deal with lot of fuss about nothing - trying to catch some scalp trades and wait for further opportunities. This is frustrating, but market stands in such position where we have no sufficient confidence and taking of any position is not quite reasonable from risk management point of view. Still, it is very probable that market will get us more clarification within 1-2 days…

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update, Tue 04, June 2013

Good morning,
As we can see - sometimes to wait is much better than take wrong steps in the fog that you will regret about later. As market has continued move up - it has made a challenge for potential move to 1.33 and showing compounded AB=CD move.
Also, market has hit our closest target yesterday - WPR1 and 0.618 extension of AB-CD. That is also very close to daily overbought. This is actually crucial moment. Since this is just minor target - price should not retrace too much lower and I prefer to see 3/8 retracement till MPP approximately. If market will fail there and move below WPP and MPP - this will put under question bullish ambitions and could lead to appearing of large butterfly on daily time frame - I hope you see it... That's why the way of retracement and this level per se is very significant.
eur_d_04_06_13.png

But what about short term? On 4-hour chart we also see that this is crossing of two targets of butterfly reversal patterns. Hence it is not time to take long position right now.
eur_4h_04_06_13.png

Second chart shows the support levels and personally I like 1.2890-1.3006 by two reasons. First is because this is strong Fib support - confluence and major 3/8. Also it includes MPP. Second reason is - this is in fact the only level that is suitable for possible retracement, since as I said - we do not want to get fast and deep plunge here. WE need gradual move down and not lower than 3/8. And finally - we do not want to see the erasing this recent big candle to upside.
If, as we've said market will break through this level - that will be not quite normal for bullish development. So, watch not only for level , but also how market will reach it and how it will response on it. It is still possible that market could reach only 1.3050 and turn to the upside again. Thus, we need scale-in again here. And finally - as we usually do - do not forget move the stop loss to breakeven if we will get the chance to enter long around 1.30. This is solid support and market should bounce form it, at least during first test. Manage any position that you take - do not forget about it by just placing t/p and s/l orders. All in all - that is your money and nobody will care about them except you.
eur_4h1_04_06_13.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Wed 05, June 2013

Good morning,
on daily chart market has shown shy action- in fact we've got another inside session. Now market has come right back to resistance - AB-CD target+WPR1.
As price has shown very small retracement yesterday - just to closest 3/8 Fib support, although we've expected a bit deeper move to K-support + MPP on 4-hour chart, it makes me think that probably price should hit 1.3135-1.3140 1.618 daily AB-CD target first and only after that will show deeper retracement. For weekly AB-CD pattern 30 pips fluctuation will not mean breakout without response. That's why deeper retracement to 1.3110 area is still possible:

eur_d_05_06_13.png

On 4-hour chart we see pattern that gives us confidence with mentioned assumption - bullish dynamic pressure. AS trend has turned bearish, price action absolutely does not support it and continues to creep higher. This usually leads to breakout through previous highs at minimum. Thus, this possible move probably will reach 1.3140 area.

eur_4h_05_06_13.png

On hourly chart we see how it could happen - right, another butterfly Sell:

eur_1h_05_06_13.png

So, that's being said. If you have long position and applied scale-in yesterday as we've discussed - you probably can hold it till 1.3135-1.3140 area. Bearish scalpers can watch for this level for scalp short position, since there we have target of two different butterflies and daily AB-CD 1.618 extention. If you would like enter long - wait a retracement. Very probable that market will reach 1.31-1.3110 area - K-support and MPP.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Thu 06, June 2013

Good morning,
current action on daily time frame makes me suspect that we could get solid upward continuation. Although we haven't reached even 1.3135 - our nearest target, but the character of market behavior points that probably it will not stop at it. Here is what we have:
First is market at least now, stands above WPR1. When WPR1 can't hold retracement up - it could be first sign of higher move up, short-term reversal or something of that sort.
Second - market has returned in consolidation that was previously broken down. In most cases price gravitates to opposite border of this consolidation - that is around 1.3250. This is also previous swing high, MPR1 and daily overbought.
And finally - take a look how market is acting here - rising flag/pennant pattern. Very often - not always, but very often after such pattern fast explosive move follows.
I do not know what will happen around 1.3135 - but as market will pass through 0.618 AB-CD+WPR1, hardly minor 1.618 target will stop it totally. Thus, move higher will automatically point our next target at 1.33 area - weekly AB-CD target. As market has passed through 0.618 target almost without any respect, it makes reaching of 100% target very probable:
eur_d_06_06_13.png

On 4-hour chart I can't show something new, since price action is rather tight. We have further action that reminds bullish dynamic pressure and points on taking out of previous highs.
eur_4h_06_06_13.png

We can count current action as butterfly or as sideway consolidation as it is shown on hourly chart - anyway minimum target will be around 1.3135 area - slightly more or less.
Here we do not want to see downward breakout and moving below K-support area around MPP. This will be very contradictive to bullish development and could lead to downward reversal. Until this will not happen, let's be focused on upward move, since now we have only bullish patterns:
eur_1h_06_06_13.png

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update, Fri 07, June 2013

Good morning,
Yesterday we've discussed that market can show fast acceleration and that has happened. Today we will discuss only daily time frame, since on lower ones there are not patterns just yet, since market just has finished explosive move and coiling around.
Current level is very important by two major reasons. On daily time frame this is strong resistance cluster, that includes MPR1, daily overbought AB=CD target and 5/8 Fib resistance. In short term perspective this combination could give us "Stretch" pattern and bearish context that is based on possible respect of this area by downward retracement. This probably what we will do in the beginning of the next week.
Second reason is more significant - because actually this is edge level for weekly H&S pattern. If market will proceed higher it will simulteniously move above MPR1 and break the harmony of H&S. This could lead to significant appreciation in medium term.
But until medium term picture holds blur let's focus on short-term bearish context that we have. Thus if you have long position - think about taking profit. Personally, I will not intend to take part in NFP trading today, that was nice week. From that perspective it makes sense to stay flat, since we do not have bearish patterns also right now.
eur_d_07_06_13.png

Last edited:
H4.jpgM5.jpg
hi sive i have drawn bearish garttley and bearish butterfly on 5min and 4H chart. is my analysis is correct

Hi Sive, I will install a buy/stop at 1.2979 on the 30m with a 20pip stop. I really think you're right on on this one! My only problen is wether or not to go long on the weekly...price action suggests a bearish move. Also the "head and shoulders" should move in a bearish manner....a conundrum.... Have to choose by sunday here in California......lol!

All the Best, and Thanks! Ron

Bullish H&S on monthly time frame

Hi Sive, thanks for your analysis. Always very helpful. In my opinion, I feel the weekly H&S is failing and is bound to fail because there is a contradictory bullish H&S on monthly time frame (the big picture). Usually, higher time frames supersede lower time frames when both are showing contradictory patterns. If I am right, then the bearish move we've seen from 1.3701 should be treated as a retracement. The pair is about to continue the second phase of it's bullishness that started from 1.2052 on July 25th, 2012. This can be seen from a monthly perspective. We may be at the beginning of a strong bullish move that will take us to the end of 2013. Pls, what's your comment about my observation?

Looking at the past behaviour of the 25x5DMA (in black) on the weekly chart leads me o think that the price action over the next few weeks could be quite decisive. The price tends to track for short periods and then break away strongly. One more piece of the jigsaw...
eurusdweekly.png

All the best

Michael

Last edited:
Back