• Please try to select the correct prefix when making a new thread in this folder.

Discuss is for general discussions of a financial company or issues related to companies.

Info is for things like "Has anyone heard of Company X?" or "Is Company X legit or not?"

Compare is for things like "Which of these 2 (or more) companies is best?"

Searching is for things like "Help me pick a broker" or "What's the best VPS out there for trading?"

Problem is for reporting an issue with a company. Please don't just scream "CompanyX is a scam!" It is much more useful to say "I can't withdraw my money from Company X" or "Company Y is not honoring their refund guarantee" in the subject line.
    Keep Problem discussions civil and lay out the facts of your case. Your goal should be to get your problem resolved or reported to the regulators, not to see how many insults you can put into the thread.

More info coming soon.

The ‘learn to trade forex’ industry

I am a UK-based freelance journalist and I am writing a long investigative feature on the ‘learn to trade’ industry for one of the UK broadsheets.

I have read with interest some of the comments on this forum about companies that offer to train beginners (albeit for £2k on a 2-day course) with the skills to trade in the Forex markets.

Basically the article is: Does it work? Can anyone really learn to trade?

I’m keen to speak to people that have attended 2-day workshops organised by companies like Knowledge to Action, Investment Mastery, Tigrent, and others.

Please get in touch with me (wherever you are) and maybe we can have a quick email exchange or skype/phone chat about your experiences?

I look forward to hearing from you

David

My email is: david.c.robinson@hotmail.com

I never took a live seminar, but a long time back I did go through The Insider Code by Mac X. It was a massively overpriced basic intro to forex. The CDs with the lessons were filled to less than 1/2 capacity, so make it seem like purchasers were getting more lessons based on the artificially inflated disk count.

The whole 2:1 risk/reward concept that was harped on over and over again as a way to virtually guarantee profits suffered a complete mathematical failure when coupled with "close 80% of your position at +20 pips and move SL to BE".

For example, Buy XXX/YYY at 1:0000. SL at -20 pips, TP at +40 pips. If we do this 20 times at $1 a pip and win half (not likely to happen in reality, but let's just go with the assumption), we lose $200 total on 10 trades and make $400 on 10 trades.

But, if we follow the detailed instructions, we still lose $200 on the 10 losers. The winner initially net 10* .8 * 20 = $160 and SL on the remaining portion is set to BE. If 5 of those go to SL and the other 5 go to TP, there is no additional loss (SL is at BE), but the TP only gains us 5 * 0.2 * 40 = $40. This puts us back to a 1:1 risk/reward ratio.

A narrower SL and TP results in a net loss. Widening both the SL and TP can push this back into profitability, but reduces the odds of winning 1/2 of the trades.

Back