how long to stay on demo

I had demod seriously for only one month, but that after spend a lot of time in real account and losing a lot of money also. But after that demo of one month, I got good results and then started fresh in real account.

I had demod seriously for only one month, but that after spend a lot of time in real account and losing a lot of money also. But after that demo of one month, I got good results and then started fresh in real account.
Curious, why only one month? there's no need to hurry, yah know.

It differs from trader to trader, a good learner can gain quick knowledge of market and can do well, while some will take more time to understand the dynamics. So only go live when you are comfortable with your strategy used.

No matter if you stay on demo for a long time, but when you see you're good in demo, just try live. You can lose your money several times because lack of real-experience but demo is a good background to start. I had stayed demo for 3-4 months before opening a live account there.

Curious, why only one month? there's no need to hurry, yah know.

I know there was no need to hurry but I was in a great hurry. As I was returned to demo after losing a lot, so only one month was enough for me, I only tested one method with extreme discipline and ti paid well.

Hello Carollynne,

Most people are saying between 3 to 6 months and I'd have to agree. The only thing I'd add is that no-matter how much experience you get on demo, it doesn't translate directly to trading with your own money. So whatever the case, be prepared for some upheaval when you go to trading live with your funded account. Your risk appetite will naturally differ when it's your own cold hard cash on the line.

Hope this helps.

Happy trading!

What do happen if we don't start with demo, just go directly to live trading? Sure we get lost, but can we learn faster than use demo account?

If newbies are afraid to loss money, then stay on Demo forever because that way they can never ever loss any money:p

Demo account is excellent as an indicator on what you can do or will be able to make with a given budget. Just don't start a USD100k Demo account, make tons of virtual money, and then hurriedly deposit USD100 and expect to earn tons of real money too on that small account.

Even after more than 3 years live trading, I still practice on Demo accounts to see how what would happen if I were to start live account with USD5k, USD10k, USD15k, USD20k, and up.
Occasionally, I take part in broker's competition to see how I rank among other traders/competitors. Also, I check to see how and what the other competitors are trading and try to learn something from their style of trading.

Learning and practicing never stops. Just learn how to trade in your own style and strategies that you will be comfortable with. Following other seasoned traders can be counter effective because these systems/strategies might not be suitable for you.

short answer is: no. you just end up losing money right away, as opposed to later. but sure, you'll learn a lesson or 2. but why lose money right away when you can learn so much from demo/paper trading? also, since trading is a mind game, you should observe you mind state when trading demo, the emotions you go through, if any. then later, when trading with real money, repeat the observation experiment. perhaps your mind states will be the same, perhaps completely different. again, you'll have learned something crucial.

eventually, when all is said and done, you have to learn how to handle the pain of losing, especially losing real money. and learn how to handle all the other emotions that usually arise when losing--anger, sadness, despair, rage, you name it. and eventually, you'll to learn to let go of these emotions so that you can trade like a machine and only focus on fine tuning your craft, finding your edge, and using it to make profits.

finally, do not be fooled should you one day be able to, for example, quadruple your real money account, and now feel on top of the world. immediately observe that feeling, do not trade while elated, and let it pass--do not trade when you fill like 'now, i got it. i'lll be rich.' take a break, re-assess. control your emotions. become like a machine again. then go back into the fray, and grab the profits knowing that whatever profits you make, you are just only as good as your last trade and every trade is a new one. basically cultivate the mind of a monk--a money monk, that is. ;)

What do happen if we don't start with demo, just go directly to live trading? Sure we get lost, but can we learn faster than use demo account?

Last edited:
Back