1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking your trade pair?? Why? & How?

Discussion in 'General Forex Talk' started by Eric Alyea, May 21, 2010.

1. Eric Alyea

Eric Alyea Master Sergeant

Picking your trade pair?? Why? & How?

What is the reasoning???
    Action....Volatility.... Stability....
    Risk management...My Broker told me to...

Newbie’s don’t get this one...:(

“Every one” should respond to this,,, Even if it is just a, 1st date that spread her leg’s, 1st time trade story. {Especially that story}

In simple words... “HOW & WHY” did you use "real" money to trade your 1st Forex pair, and how was that, (your experience) for you.
    Let’s do detail’s ... broker... lot size... if you got off, (your money out of the broker) and what you did with it. Oooh yeah.

This will be deleted later:
    I have a date with a piece of machinery that I am primping for sale. We have been in a two day all nighter. My human woman is pissed. Other that me being in the garage, she moan's about my 15 second looks at the charts and the fight if she closed my chart window out..
    it's how i don't look at the chart's that make's me look forward to coming back (plug that into your every day life.

Good luck to all!
    {Luck is where preparation meet’s opportunity}

#1 Eric Alyea, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. Music Man

Music Man Corporal

I do not trade any particular pair. Instead, I use clustering to pick strong/weak pairs and then look at the charts to see where S/R, candlesticks and volatility are at. If the yen is strong and the euro is weak, then shorting EUR/JPY may be the answer, depending.

When I first started, I tended to trade EUR/JPY, as it seemed to be more of a ranging currency. In those days, I tried to scalp the ranges. Now, I tend to look for trends and potential breakouts, as they have a lot more profit potential.

It's less frenetic, as well. :)

MM

3. Eric Alyea

And this brings up things from another thread:

Good answer:
    And back to the point of how you started... What was you 1st real profit??
    It’s not a girl you can say, broker and $. Everyone has their 1st. Leave out what you can’t say.

And this brings up things from another thread and a second point:
    OK this is it... Who was your 1st... and who do you wake up in the morning to???

oh, did I forget to add.. why was the change better for "you" (because that is your "today" reality), and how it, or what ever process you use makes money for you?

http://www.forexpeacearmy.com/forex...dle-s-wick-s-price-time-tick-s.html#post35908

What did you need differant to satify you, to justify the change?

I don't judge, I am just a RECON MAN, I only report the "FACTS"

This is one time you have to be honest with others so everyone can learn. Everyone was all over Felex's Thursday post's, http://www.forexpeacearmy.com/forex-forum/secrets-successful-forex-trader/ well now you have a chance to say something other than ...."Good post"... Felix was trying to make your daily Forex & life practice better. It starts here, tell other's what you do at least in Forex for real.

"How has Forex changed your daily life??"

#3 Eric Alyea, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  4. Ricex

Ricex Sergeant

5. pawelrad

pawelrad Private, 1st Class

I think that most pairs are now JPY, also I would be careful with pair of CHF cause there is a lot of government interference.

6. Eric Alyea

Recap

Recap

Music Man
    clustering to pick strong/weak pairs
    Study your fundamentals:
    Ricex
    Strong vs. Weak indicator’s (technical analysis)
    For beginners, I think stay in a demo with one semi volatile pair. EUR/USD used to be that but you can’t work your retracement practice on that and not get hurt with out knowing the “Reports”.

7. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Recruit

Here's one way (beware, I'm a newbie)

I just recently closed out a short EURAUD trade that I put on in February for a nice profit (demo account, don't get too excited). Here was my top-down decision process

Fundamentals
    AUD: Only central bank that had started raising rates
    EUR: Europe is in big economic trouble (US may not be far behind, but hey I'm an American!)
    There were candidates for the short side that provided larger interest rollover, but I was looking at it as a trend trade not a carry trade so I just didn't want negative rollover.

Sentiment = COT non-Commercials
    AUD: net long and increasing
    EUR: net short and decreasing

Technical
    EURAUD pair in a obvious down trend on the weekly chart

I'm would like to get back into another short Euro trade, but since the Australian government started flapping its jaws about taxing mining companies 40% of profits the fundamental picture there has changed. I am considering the EURUSD for lack of a better alternative but the COT situation on the DXY is deteriorating, so for now I'll just wait.

It worked out pretty well this time. Since I'm a newbie please feel free to comment / criticize / scorn / ridicule. And please don't ask about those OTHER trades - I don't want to talk about it.

8. Ricex

Ricex Sergeant

Excellent trade Caoimhin, good decision making process.

9. ali syed arsalan

Proper money management is necessary for everything.
    If you have everything from money management to calculations of charts and technical then you are done with your daily earnings.

10. geula4

geula4 forexforex3 rep

I think it depends on your experience

I would suggest that new traders stick to the Euro/USD and perhaps other major pairs but not the crosses.
    More experience traders should move on to other currencies as long as they feel comfortable trading them.
    In all cases, a good understanding of the fundemental and technical background is needed before placing a trade. just my 2 cents...