Studying English.

Marky$

Private, 1st Class
Hello everyone,
Because English isn't my mother tongue I enrolled to a college to study English.
One of my last homework was to write a short story beginning with words:
"Someone from the hospital called; it sounded urgent..."
So, I've wrote the following story. I'd like to ask you for your opinion. I'd really appreciate all error corrections you point me out. Especially grammar ones and words and prepositions misuses.
Big thanks for all comments in advance :)

- Someone from the hospital called; it sounded urgent – Mary said in a trembling voice.
John was sitting in front of the TV set attentively watching the news. He suddenly jumped up and run out of the room.
- Who was calling? What’s he said? – John was shouting short questions while putting on his coat.
- I’ve got no idea. I wasn’t able to recognize the voice on the phone. There was terrible scream in the background and the call has been suddenly interrupted. – Mary screamed.
John turned pale as a ghost.
- I’m afraid the worst. – he said nervously.
- What’s going on? Where are you going? – Mary asked him in a seriously scared voice.
- There is no time to waste! – John shouted putting on his shoes.
- Put on your coat, take the gun from the drawer and call Tom. Tell him we are coming. I’ll explain it to you in the car. Quick! – John ordered her.
They’d run out of the house not locking the door and jumped into the car parked in front of the house. John started the car with a squeal of tires. He was driving very fast through the downtown not paying attention to the traffic lights. Mary was sitting in the car so scared that she wasn’t able to say a word.
- We’ve found a zombie in the hospital dissecting-room last night. – John started conversation.
Hearing that Mary had lost consciousness.
A while later they arrived to the hospital. It was too late. The zombies had taken over the hospital. It was the end for the hospital personnel and patients. But it was the only beginning of the city nightmare.

You need to check the proper usage of quote marks "" for dialog.

jumped up and ran out of the room.

was calling? What did he say?

shouted while putting on his shoes.

They ran out of the house

Hearing that, Mary fainted.

beginning of the city's nightmare.

Meanwhile, the world-wide economic uncertainty caused by the latest zombie outbreak led to significant gains in the value of both gold and shotguns. :D

Thank you Pharaoh for your help.
Now I see the past tense errors I've made.
And I've checked the proper usage of quote marks for dialog. And of course you're right. I used hyphens because it's common in books written in my mother tongue. Now I see that English has a bit different rules for quote marks.

I like your last sentence ;) I think that in the next homework I should use the connections to the currency market to get more attention at the forum ;)
Thank you :)

It doesn't matter if the news is about employment or zombies - sooner or later, it will have an economic impact. :D

@Marky$ - Maybe English is not your mother tongue but you sure know English better than many people that I know. Keep it up, you have wonderful writing skills and you sure do know how to tell a story :)

First of all, I think you're doing well :)
English isn't my mother language either, but I notices some small mistakes that haven't been commented yet:

Who was calling? What’s he said? – John was shouting short questions while putting on his coat.

Careful with tenses: it's better to say "Who called". Also, careful with questions, more correct would be: "What did they say?" (you don't know if was a he or she).

There was a terrible scream in the background and the call was suddenly interrupted. – Mary screamed.

Tenses, again. Also missing an article there in from of "terrible".

- I’m afraid the worst.

Better would be: "I'm really afraid" or "I'm really worried"

Hearing that, Mary lost consciousness.

Missing a comma.

A while later they arrived at the hospital.

Hope I could help you a little more :)
All the best!

And while John was distracted by the grammar check function on his laptop, a zombie ate his brain. ;)

grammar.jpg

@Marky$: This is a good effort. Most of the errors have been highlighted already but here it what I picked up -

I’m afraid the worst > I fear the worst - this would be better in this context.

Normally, the phrase would have to include "of" - "I'm afraid of...something".

Good luck!

I rather like "I fear the worst" - sounds a bit more poetic than many of the alternatives.

Alors, des nouvelles de cette expression écrite ? Quelle note as-tu eu ? Quels ont été les commentaires ?

Back