• Please try to select the correct prefix when making a new thread in this folder.

Discuss is for general discussions of a financial company or issues related to companies.

Info is for things like "Has anyone heard of Company X?" or "Is Company X legit or not?"

Compare is for things like "Which of these 2 (or more) companies is best?"

Searching is for things like "Help me pick a broker" or "What's the best VPS out there for trading?"

Problem is for reporting an issue with a company. Please don't just scream "CompanyX is a scam!" It is much more useful to say "I can't withdraw my money from Company X" or "Company Y is not honoring their refund guarantee" in the subject line.
    Keep Problem discussions civil and lay out the facts of your case. Your goal should be to get your problem resolved or reported to the regulators, not to see how many insults you can put into the thread.

More info coming soon.

Problem Pepperstone Manipulating Spread

I am having an issue with a company

FinalPhase

Recruit
I'm speechless to think that Pepperstone would manipulate spread in order to cause a trade to stop in my account. I'm currently holding a razor account on pepperstone, which promises low spread for a commission.
Pepperstone's website shows average spread of GBPJPY is 0.4-1.23 pips. Which I believe is perfectly fine to pay a commission for such spread. I do understand that this is not guaranteed, but my trade was stopped out by a spread widening of 10 pips for no good reason.

Here's the response from pepperstone.

Thanks for contacting us today.

Thank you for your email and trade investigation. I noticed that you were in a Sell trade. Please note that Sell trades open at the Bid price and close at the Ask price.

The reason for the confusion in this trade close price is that the trading platform shows the Bid price as the chart price and the Ask price is not displayed on the charts by default. The Ask price is the higher price of the bid-ask spread and is above the Bid (chart) price by the distance of the spread. As you were in a sell trade, your position is closed on the ask price (and opened at the bid price). When sell trades are closed, it can therefore appear as if the trade is closed before the chart price reaches the requested level however the price was in fact reached by the ask price which triggered your stop-loss order.

Furthermore If you have a pending stop (market) order, it will be a request to close the trade at the next available price should the market move past your stop level.

To get a better idea of this, you can enable the current ask price on your [cTrader charts; right click on the chart, select Viewing Options > "Ask Price Line” / To enable the ask price on your MT4 charts; right click on the chart, select Properties, go to the Common tab and select “Show Ask Line”]

Below are the Bid and Ask prices at the time your stop loss was reached when the markets reopened:

2018.10.22 00:00:55 147.130 147.234

2018.10.22 00:00:59 147.126 147.230

2018.10.22 00:01:00 147.127 147.231

2018.10.22 00:01:00 147.126 147.230

2018.10.22 00:01:03 147.125 147.229

2018.10.22 00:01:03 147.119 147.223

If you need further information regarding the difference between these two prices, please see this section of the support site here: https://pepperstone.com/en/support/about-trading/bid-and-ask-prices

As a non-dealing desk broker we do not offer a fixed spread on our currency pairs; instead, we provide the interbank spreads that exist in the market.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if I can provide any additional clarification. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Roger
Pepperstone Support

Note that they have indicated the tick data at 00:01:00, which is when my trade got stopped out with a spread of 10.4 pips. This is absolutely ridiculous. Why do I have to pay a commission on an account that offers low spread, to have a spread of 10 pips on GBPJPY? Would really appreciate it if someone could advise what I can do. Was thinking of lodging a complain with ASIC but not sure if that's going to work.

Attachments

• GBPJPY.png
    GBPJPY.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 7
I'm speechless to think that Pepperstone would manipulate spread in order to cause a trade to stop in my account. I'm currently holding a razor account on pepperstone, which promises low spread for a commission.
Pepperstone's website shows average spread of GBPJPY is 0.4-1.23 pips. Which I believe is perfectly fine to pay a commission for such spread. I do understand that this is not guaranteed, but my trade was stopped out by a spread widening of 10 pips for no good reason.

Here's the response from pepperstone.

Thanks for contacting us today.

Thank you for your email and trade investigation. I noticed that you were in a Sell trade. Please note that Sell trades open at the Bid price and close at the Ask price.

The reason for the confusion in this trade close price is that the trading platform shows the Bid price as the chart price and the Ask price is not displayed on the charts by default. The Ask price is the higher price of the bid-ask spread and is above the Bid (chart) price by the distance of the spread. As you were in a sell trade, your position is closed on the ask price (and opened at the bid price). When sell trades are closed, it can therefore appear as if the trade is closed before the chart price reaches the requested level however the price was in fact reached by the ask price which triggered your stop-loss order.

Furthermore If you have a pending stop (market) order, it will be a request to close the trade at the next available price should the market move past your stop level.

To get a better idea of this, you can enable the current ask price on your [cTrader charts; right click on the chart, select Viewing Options > "Ask Price Line” / To enable the ask price on your MT4 charts; right click on the chart, select Properties, go to the Common tab and select “Show Ask Line”]

Below are the Bid and Ask prices at the time your stop loss was reached when the markets reopened:

2018.10.22 00:00:55 147.130 147.234

2018.10.22 00:00:59 147.126 147.230

2018.10.22 00:01:00 147.127 147.231

2018.10.22 00:01:00 147.126 147.230

2018.10.22 00:01:03 147.125 147.229

2018.10.22 00:01:03 147.119 147.223

If you need further information regarding the difference between these two prices, please see this section of the support site here: https://pepperstone.com/en/support/about-trading/bid-and-ask-prices

As a non-dealing desk broker we do not offer a fixed spread on our currency pairs; instead, we provide the interbank spreads that exist in the market.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if I can provide any additional clarification. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Roger
Pepperstone Support

Note that they have indicated the tick data at 00:01:00, which is when my trade got stopped out with a spread of 10.4 pips. This is absolutely ridiculous. Why do I have to pay a commission on an account that offers low spread, to have a spread of 10 pips on GBPJPY? Would really appreciate it if someone could advise what I can do. Was thinking of lodging a complain with ASIC but not sure if that's going to work.
Few steps that you must follow to draw their attention to your issue,
Follow the suggested steps below:

If you deposited your money via credit card then contact the credit card customer care asap and ask them to file a chargeback.
Go to their website and invite them to here via Live Chat
Invite them to join this thread via email (Send an email to every possible address).

You will find their email and address https://pepperstone.com/en/company-profile/contact-us
Also, Share your story as a review https://www.forexpeacearmy.com/forex-reviews/7523/pepperstone.com

You can also share your story on their social media pages mentioned below:

https://www.facebook.com/Pepperstonefx (Click on more and you will find write review option there)

https://twitter.com/PepperstoneFX

https://pepperstone.com/en/trading-platforms/iphone

https://pepperstone.com/en/trading-platforms/android

Note: Don’t forget to update your review/s when you got solution of your problem.

I think only option is leave retail broker world and trade futures on a exchange. I am at IC markets and same thing happened on USDJPY and USD NOK, where spread was widened at least 7 times from 10 points to at least 70 points and after SL market turned as I expected.
Evernote_2018-12-12_11-25-27.png

Pepperstone used to be great. Everything has then gone downhill since a couple of years back then. Even on Reddit and on ForexFactory, clients are creating the same support for this issue as well. I believed they're up to something.

I think only option is leave retail broker world and trade futures on a exchange. I am at IC markets and same thing happened on USDJPY and USD NOK, where spread was widened at least 7 times from 10 points to at least 70 points and after SL market turned as I expected.
Evernote_2018-12-12_11-25-27.png
Future is the final way to go for Retail Traders. But, it's expensive.

Back