1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Hedging

Discussion in 'Beginners Bootcamp' started by joao, Oct 9, 2008.

1. joao

joao Private

Hi,
    I am new to forex. I tried the demo and had pretty good success with it until one day. I also opened an account and again was having pretty good success until one day. A couple of things hit me. One was the fact that i had a stop loss and i had a real good week, but over the weekend things went against me, and by the time the market opened i was down almost $1000 and the position closed on me. Then i tried no stop loss and several times the trades went against me initially but then went my way. I lost money because i closed my weekend trades to avoid my last fiasco. So then i decided to just ride it and i had pretty good success with this strategy, only because i was lucky on my direction and it took a while to get my gains; all the meanwhile, i was loosing sleep trying to decide if i should continue or let go. The problem with stop losses is that it seems that once i place one, my order will go there first before it goes my way. The only way i can avoid that is by putting the stop loss at such a high place that if it goes against me i will loose quite a bit. So i was considering hedging, especially in this market EUR/USD, where nowdays it's a wild ride. So far on my experiment with the demo account it has worked out okay. I am using by way DBFX. I like them so far. Can anyone address the issue of hedging? Thanks.
    Joao