Most Stop Loss Orders executed at slightly worse price ?

p1p1n

Private

I have noticed most of my Stop Loss Orders are executed at slightly worse price and some at the exact price.

I pay commission, get 5 Digits Quote & trade 0.01 lots via DMA/ECN broker.

Just providing a list of price differences between the price at which the stop loss were executed vs the Stop Loss Price set by me on various instances -

0.03 - 0.05 - 0.11 - 0.16 - 0.18 on XAUUSD

0.2 - 0.8 - 0.9 pips on GBPUSD
0.1 - 0.2 - 0.3 pips on AUDUSD
0.1 - 0.3 - 0.4 - 0.8 pips on USDJPY
0.2 pips on GBPAUD
0.1 - 0.4 - 0.6 pips on EURUSD
0.1 - 0.2 - 0.4 pips on NZDUSD
0.3 - 1.3 pips on USDCHF
0.2 pips on EURJPY
0.2 pips on EURGBP
0.1 - 0.2 - 1.6 pips on AUDJPY
0.3 pips on USDCAD
0.3 - 1 pips on GBPCAD
0.1 - 0.4 pips on GBPJPY

In one instance I had two 0.01 lots of USDJPY (Both had Same Stop Loss Set Price) that hit Stop Loss and both were executed at the exact same time
but one @ the set stop loss price but other with 0.8 slippage.

Similarly I had two 0.01 lots of GBPJPY (Both had Same Stop Loss Set Price) that hit Stop Loss and both were executed at the exact same time
but one @ 0.1 slippage while other with 0.4 slippage.

Basically is it normal practice & do all traders get this kind of slippage or is it just me ?

Last edited:

I have noticed most of my Stop Loss Orders are executed at slightly worse price and some at the exact price.

I pay commission, get 5 Digits Quote & trade 0.01 lots via DMA/ECN broker.

Just providing a list of price differences between the price at which the stop loss were executed vs the Stop Loss Price set by me on various instances -

0.03 - 0.05 - 0.11 - 0.16 - 0.18 on XAUUSD

0.2 - 0.8 - 0.9 pips on GBPUSD
0.1 - 0.2 - 0.3 pips on AUDUSD
0.1 - 0.3 - 0.4 - 0.8 pips on USDJPY
0.2 pips on GBPAUD
0.1 - 0.4 - 0.6 pips on EURUSD
0.1 - 0.2 - 0.4 pips on NZDUSD
0.3 - 1.3 pips on USDCHF
0.2 pips on EURJPY
0.2 pips on EURGBP
0.1 - 0.2 - 1.6 pips on AUDJPY
0.3 pips on USDCAD
0.3 - 1 pips on GBPCAD
0.1 - 0.4 pips on GBPJPY

In one instance I had two 0.01 lots of USDJPY (Both had Same Stop Loss Set Price) that hit Stop Loss and both were executed at the exact same time
but one @ the set stop loss price but other with 0.8 slippage.

Similarly I had two 0.01 lots of GBPJPY (Both had Same Stop Loss Set Price) that hit Stop Loss and both were executed at the exact same time
but one @ 0.1 slippage while other with 0.4 slippage.

Basically is it normal practice & do all traders get this kind of slippage or is it just me ?

Its normal.

Depends on a few things. If your stops are being hit around big news events, then some slippage (possibly even big slippage) is to be expected. If markets are calm and price slowly wanders across your stop, then slippage, if any, should be very small.

Depends on a few things. If your stops are being hit around big news events, then some slippage (possibly even big slippage) is to be expected. If markets are calm and price slowly wanders across your stop, then slippage, if any, should be very small.

but it defeats the whole point of putting a stop loss. Also I thought at least when markets are calm I would not get slippage but it still occurs. it may not seem much but if i add the pips lost bcuz of slippage on each trade then the total number of pips lost per day becomes greater and the total number of pips lost on slippage will increase when we do the math on weekly or monthly basis.

Also slippage on news is nightmare but I hate the fact that broker cant honor the Stop Loss which was already set cuz its totally different to someone who trades the news.

I guess Slippage will always happen but I hate it when I get them when market is calm & when u had engaged in trade set up and put ur stop loss hours/days ago only to see u got slippage on your Stop Loss which results in a adverse risk reward profile.

but it defeats the whole point of putting a stop loss. Also I thought at least when markets are calm I would not get slippage but it still occurs. it may not seem much but if i add the pips lost bcuz of slippage on each trade then the total number of pips lost per day becomes greater and the total number of pips lost on slippage will increase when we do the math on weekly or monthly basis.

Also slippage on news is nightmare but I hate the fact that broker cant honor the Stop Loss which was already set cuz its totally different to someone who trades the news.

I guess Slippage will always happen but I hate it when I get them when market is calm & when u had engaged in trade set up and put ur stop loss hours/days ago only to see u got slippage on your Stop Loss which results in a adverse risk reward profile.

when you get big "slippage" 99.9% ,something big happened on the market.

What you mean by slippage offcourse is price movement which is not slippage but,price movement.

but it defeats the whole point of putting a stop loss.

Have you ever seen trapeze artists performing over a safety net? Notice that the net is not right next to the ground. It's suspended so that it can flex a certain amount. Even if the net rips, it should slow the person down enough to reduce the injuries.

Your stoploss is your safety net. Don't set it 1 pip away from wiping out your account. Other than around big news (or after a weekend gap), it should only flex a very small amount on it's own. Most of the time, slippage should be less than a pip, but you need to be aware that all it takes is a surprise announcement from a central bank to send a currency pair on a wild ride with no warning.

So, if you decide you want to not risk more than 2% of your account, set your SL and position size to only risk 1.8-1.9%. Keep an eye on major news events. Consider closing positions before Non-Farm Payrolls.

Back