How long did it take you to go from demo to live?

How long did it take you to go from demo to live?

• right away

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • 6 months

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • 1 year

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • 2 years

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • 3 or more years

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
I spent about a year on demo. To be honest, I kind of got disinterested for a while when my son was born so I wasn’t actively trading the entire year, but I went back to it for a good four months or so before I ever opened a real account.

I think will safely when first time tries in the real trading account is they still have another as main source income, so they can cover daily necessity, if then in real trading account good result, it will become additional savings, but if fail, not disturbed overall finance.

It took me about two or three months to switch to real trading. I knew that demo trading would never give me relevant experience, so instead of trading demo for ages, I masteres trading platform and started trading small sums of money and I still think that this approach is the most optimal one.

It took me not too long because I realised that demo account would not give me the appropriate experience and knowledge, so I learned how to use the trading platform and in the period of a couple of months I switched to the real account. Surely, I started with the small sums of money in order not to take huge risks, but later on I gradually expanded my deposit. I feel that it is the most sensible approach to starting trading.

When I first heard about forex, cfd's i demod an account for about 2 or 3 days and realised I wasn't emotionally vested..(whilst making positive trades with the little knowledge i mustered as quick as I could)..so dove straight in with a live account, over leveraged and position sizing versus available equity was degenerately shamefull. And surprisingly I held onto it longer than I should have. But I took blowing my 1st small account as the boot up the backside needed to actually educate myself properly so I believe it to have been valuable descision for myself to do so.
And to this day I allways have multiple live accounts, and a few demo accounts. As fore mentioned above demo accounts are great for practising a system, or strategy with no risk to your capital. I also use them as a test for new brokers. I'll demo them first....then trade a live account alongside. And I'll compare how they each coincide with one another.... iv spotted a few less than suitable brokers by doing this, presenting a beautifully stable trading experience on demo.... then when you go live the broker manipulation is most apparent and can be relentless

So overall I'd suggest practising a strategy/system on a demo account so that you are proficient in the method, almost robotic. And when doing so with live account... you will know what you "should" be doing and have a chance to separate any emotional thought processing as it will be the what wasnt there before hand (real risk makes thing real all round).... a good way is allways a micro account.... play for pennies...set your rules, stick to them. become efficient in "being right"....and managing your risk to an extent that if your wrong it doesn't matter, you knew your risk and accepted it before you even put in the trade... it should allways be an amount that doesn't matter.. (say 1%, can be wrong 100times in row, surely you can admit long before then that a strategy isnt working, or being applied correctly)
Forget about making money.... become profficient in a system..... by right of doing so.. making money will become a byproduct.... or this was at least the way I approached things...... truth is trading is a never ending journey of education, with never ending avenues of improvement that can be addressed

Last edited:
I worked on a demo account for about 6 months. I think it could have been good to have worked on it for a little longer but I have learnt a lot from being on a live account. The key is to invest what you can afford to lose & don't put too much pressure on yourself to make lots in the first few years. Small consistent profits are better then rollercoaster wins & losses.

I think will safely when first time tries in the real trading account is they still have another as main source income, so they can cover daily necessity, if then in real trading account good result, it will become additional savings, but if fail, not disturbed overall finance.
This is an absolute MUST.

When I first heard about forex, cfd's i demod an account for about 2 or 3 days and realised I wasn't emotionally vested..(whilst making positive trades with the little knowledge i mustered as quick as I could)..so dove straight in with a live account, over leveraged and position sizing versus available equity was degenerately shamefull. And surprisingly I held onto it longer than I should have. But I took blowing my 1st small account as the boot up the backside needed to actually educate myself properly so I believe it to have been valuable descision for myself to do so.
And to this day I allways have multiple live accounts, and a few demo accounts. As fore mentioned above demo accounts are great for practising a system, or strategy with no risk to your capital. I also use them as a test for new brokers. I'll demo them first....then trade a live account alongside. And I'll compare how they each coincide with one another.... iv spotted a few less than suitable brokers by doing this, presenting a beautifully stable trading experience on demo.... then when you go live the broker manipulation is most apparent and can be relentless

So overall I'd suggest practising a strategy/system on a demo account so that you are proficient in the method, almost robotic. And when doing so with live account... you will know what you "should" be doing and have a chance to separate any emotional thought processing as it will be the what wasnt there before hand (real risk makes thing real all round).... a good way is allways a micro account.... play for pennies...set your rules, stick to them. become efficient in "being right"....and managing your risk to an extent that if your wrong it doesn't matter, you knew your risk and accepted it before you even put in the trade... it should allways be an amount that doesn't matter.. (say 1%, can be wrong 100times in row, surely you can admit long before then that a strategy isnt working, or being applied correctly)
Forget about making money.... become profficient in a system..... by right of doing so.. making money will become a byproduct.... or this was at least the way I approached things...... truth is trading is a never ending journey of education, with never ending avenues of improvement that can be addressed
Nice experience, if you login demo account and real account use the same MetaTrader platform, better check when you switch from demo account to real account login, make sure if using appropriate size position, I have a mistake when use demo account and then switch real account but use position size too high because in demo start ith largest capital. But if using a separated trading platform for demo and real, the problem may not occur.

Back